Motherhood is a balancing act that I have yet to figure out completely.
Motherhood is hard.
Being a Mom continually stretches me in ways that I never knew I could be stretched. It is refining. There are times when it feels like someone has ripped my heart out of my chest.
Sometimes I want to hide under the covers and change my name.
But Motherhood is beautiful.
I wouldn’t trade it for the world.
There are some tricks of the trade I have picked up along the way on this journey we call Motherhood. To some they will be lifesavers and help you go from surviving to thriving. Others might question my sanity. Of course there will always be the perfect moms who have it all together and don’t need help.
5 Essentials for Every Mom
1. A good planner. If you read nothing else, read this. Invest in a good planner. There are so many out there. I use my Erin Condren Life Planner to help organize my life and meals. I use Emily Ley for Blogging. BUT I just ordered the Brilliant Business Moms Planner because I have a planner addiction and it looked amazing. You seriously can’t remember everything in your head. The slips of paper keep getting lost, and you really need to put down your phone and be present. Buy a paper planner. You won’t regret it.
2. Sturdy bag. I prefer for my purses to not look like diaper bags, but they need to be able to carry a lot. My all time favorite bags are from Better Life Bags. LOVE them. Rebecca is amazing. Her heart for the women in her community is awe-inspiring. It’s so beautiful to see where Better Life Bags started and where God has taken it. Amazing.
I have a Molly, a Brynnda, a Nesting Pouch Set, and a wristlet that was retired. They are by far my favorite bags ever. You can design your own or purchase a Ready to Ship. With every purchase you are helping to create jobs for women who otherwise wouldn’t be able to work and provide for their family. Come back and show me what bag you created!!
3. Not your mama’s jeans. Jeans are a staple in every mom’s wardrobe. Am I right? Let’s stop with the skinny jeans. They really aren’t that flattering. Straight leg jeans, on the other hand, are classic. I’ve never seen a pair of straight leg jeans go wrong. I have two favorites that were worth the investment. So comfortable and they make it easy to pull together outfits for busy moms. Find yourself a great pair of jeans.
Not into shopping? Don’t have time? Fashion challenged? Try Stitch Fix. Your stylist will help you figure out what works for you and what doesn’t.
4. Time away. You love your family. You do. But sometimes you have to make time for yourself. Sometimes you have to make yourself make time for yourself. It’s hard. As moms we usually put everyone else’s needs before our own.
If you don’t take care of yourself, then you can’t really take care of those you love around you. Take the bubble bath. Schedule that girl’s night. Sit down and do that crafty thing after the kids are in bed. Spend hours on Facebook and Pinterest. Oh, wait. Don’t do that. Do something that you love.
5. Time in the Word. Busy is the word that you would use to describe your life right now. Running from activity to activity. You tried to not over commit or over schedule, it just happened.
You might not have hours upon hours to spend in the Word, but you do have time. It might not look the same way it did before kids or even two years ago. This is just a season. I promise. You can do this. Even if it’s only a chapter a day. Write down Scripture verses on notecards and tape them to mirrors or inside cabinets. You can do this.
There you have it. My 5 essentials for every mom. I could have added so many more. Comfortable shoes, a good coffee mug, a favorite throw. But those are a start.
What would you add to the list?