For years I have been wanting to make my own deodorant. First of all, I think making your own anything is empowering. Secondly, I would cringe every time I reached for a stick of deodorant off the shelf at the store. Seriously. Have you ever taken a look at the ingredient list? But I didn't think I could do it. I needed empty deodorant canisters. There's no way I would have all the ingredients in my pantry. I would have to buy all the ingredients or find them at the store. And with little kids, what could be a quick in and out of the store would turn into an hour long ordeal.
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder
- 1.5 Tablespoons baking soda
- 10-20 drops of Young Living essential oil
- optional 2 T of grated beeswax or beeswax pellets if you are putting this in a deodorant canister
Cream the first three ingredients together. Add the essential oil of your choice, and mix well. Then you can scoop the mixture into the canning jar or container of your choice.
If you are going to put the mixture in canisters, then you want to melt the coconut oil and beeswax on the stove and mix in the powders. Take off the stove and add essential oils, mixing well. Pour into canister and let set.
And guess what? It worked!! Only one day did I get stinky, and that was in the evening after a day corralling kiddos at Walt Disney World. I would say this was a success! I can't believe I didn't try it earlier.
- The first time I made the recipe, I melted the coconut oil and stirred in the arrowroot powder and baking soda. As I got to the bottom I noticed my underarms becoming irritated. I'm pretty sure the powder settled as the coconut oil cooled in the jar.
- By creaming the ingredients together and putting it in a jar, if I need to add more baking soda, I can. The consistency is softer than the version I melted. But so far no stink :).
- I used this at the beach, and while my jar of coconut oil got runny and melty, this deodorant did not! It was softer, but never melted. Yay!