Holidays with kids aren’t always so merry and bright. Schedules are all over the place. Travel and being confined to a car seat is enough to make everyone grumpy. Add the extra sugar, foods that are out of the norm, and relatives you only see on special occasions, and you’ve created the perfect storm.
Here are a few suggestions to make the holidays a bit more manageable. Thank you, ReadyRefresh℠ by Nestlé®, for sponsoring this conversation. All opinions are my own.
How to Avoid Holiday Meltdowns
Get back to the basics by making sure your child is getting enough sleep at night. Adding a rest time during the day when possible is also a great idea. When we traveled when our kids were little, we made sure there was a rest time which sometimes meant we would drive around town for a bit while they slept because nap times were not happening when there were so many people around.
Make sure you are leaving enough margin for downtime. Consider implementing a mandatory rest time during the day. Maybe they will nap, maybe they won’t, but they will rest. Being in new places can disrupt schedules and routines, so start a new bedtime routine that includes turning down the lights, reading a story before bed, and possibly a sound machine. It’s easy to get caught up in jumping from one activity to the other or from one house to the other. But our kids need downtime just as much as we do. We all need more margin during the holidays to offset the busy holiday season. For adults, consider starting a new nightly routine of no screens after 8 pm, a warm cup of tea, and reading a new book.
If your children are old enough, consider having a code word they can use when they feel overwhelmed.
With all the sugary treats around the holidays, being diligent in the area of healthy snacks, foods, and beverages is important. This can be as easy as making sure there is a fruit and vegetable tray at the gathering or around the house. Having water readily available is also key, and there are great services like ReadyRefresh.com who will deliver non-sugary drinks right to your doorstep.
Making and Maintaining Healthy Hydration Habits
Thirsty choices aren’t always smart choices. A lack of healthy beverage options often means reaching for whatever is available, especially during the holiday season when eating and drinking habits can fluctuate.
While my oldest son will always choose water over juice, his siblings are not the same. If you are visiting family, prepare for your holiday travels with a delivery from ReadyRefresh to bring along. One less trip to the store means more time to finish packing so you don’t feel rushed.
This can help two-fold. It could be that the hostess forgot the beverages and you would be taking that stress off of them. You will also be helping your family stay hydrated and make great beverage choices so you aren’t left with little sugar monsters at the end of your visit.
What is ReadyRefresh by Nestlé?
The ReadyRefresh mission is simple: to make it easy for you and your family to live a healthier life. With just a few clicks or a few taps on your mobile device, through ReadyRefresh.com, you’ll quickly customize your order for thirst-quenching beverages delivered right to your door.
The service provides your family with a variety of purified water, teas, and imported water varieties. They even deliver the still and sparkling Arrowhead® Brand Mountain Spring Water!
Need recommendations for the holidays? S.Pellegrino and Acqua Panna pair perfectly with holiday meals and serve as a great centerpiece for your holiday dinner table too!
37 Ways to Give Back During the Holiday Season
Giving back during the holiday season can be harder than it seems with travel to see family and friends, and time commitments with school programs and work parties. But giving back doesn’t have to be an elaborate presentation. It can be fun and simple, easy for the whole family. Here are some ideas to get you started:
1. Hold the door open for someone.
2. Smile at a stranger.
3. Compliment a stranger.
4. Leave the mail person a thank you card.
5. Donate items to a local shelter.
6. Let someone go in front of you at the store.
7. Say thank you to the cashier.
See? I said they were simple. Giving back and being kind doesn’t have to be complicated.
8. Donate books to a local school or library.
9. Tell someone you love them.
10. Donate new items to the Children’s Hospital.
11. Surprise someone with a sweet treat.
12. Write a note to someone and tell them why they are special to you. Don’t forget to mail it!
13. Collect spare change for the Salvation Army.
14. Collect old newspapers and donate them to the local pet shelter.
15. Make a handmade card for a friend.
16. Buy balloons and hand them out at a local park.
17. Hand out lollipops to make people smile.
18. Make care bags to give to the homeless shelter.
19. Donate a bag of pet food to the local pet shelter.
20. Make a thank you card for your school janitor.
21. Bring your favorite person a flower.
22. Tell Mom and Dad, “Thanks!”
23. Tape change to a vending machine.
24. Do a chore for someone in your family.
25. Leave a happy note for someone to find.
26. Send a card to a soldier.
27. Give someone a hug.
28. Make dinner.
29. Collect cans of food and donate them to a food bank.
30. Bake holiday cookies and share with your neighbors.
31. Donate blood and save a life.
32. Run an errand for someone.
33. Leave a generous tip the next time you visit a restaurant to make someone’s day.
34. Pay for someone’s layaway anonymously.
35. Adopt a family from an Angel Tree.
36. Host a hot chocolate stand and donate the proceeds to charity.
37. Visit a nursing home and sing Christmas Carols.
What can you do with your family this holiday season to give back to your community and spread holiday cheer? Leave your suggestions below and use #GoodHabitsDelivered to let ReadyRefresh know on Facebook or Twitter!
The holidays can be a stressful time and the last thing you want to worry about is running out of your supply of beverage options. Keep your family’s healthy hydration on track throughout the holiday season with a constant supply of the beverage options you and your family love.
Check out how Vera Sweeney did her own random act of kindness and helped make the holidays a little less stressful for her neighbor with beverage delivery service from ReadyRefresh℠ by Nestlé®.
Holidays are a great time to pay it forward and give back to our community by participating in our own random acts of kindness. It can be as easy as bringing beverages to the next holiday party you attend.
Thank you to ReadyRefresh℠ by Nestlé® for sponsoring this blog post. All opinions are my own.